Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Best Ever Pumpkin Soup

Tuesday, December 28, 2010
pumpkin soup

My sister-in-law brought the most delicious pumpkin soup for an appetizer at Thanksgiving. It's perfectly creamy and not too much pumpkin. The thyme and sherry are the little savory somethings that make you go hmmmmmm.

I have been serving it any chance I can muster since I got my hands on the recipe. It was fabulous in a warmer at our Cookie Exchange, and would be great at any New Year's Bash. I have had enough requests for the recipe so I must pass it on. I can assure you this will warm us throughout winter. Please enjoy.

Best Ever Pumpkin Soup
1 T butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (15 oz) 100% pure pumpkin
2 cups chicken broth
1 t each thyme and salt
2 small bay leaves
1 cup light cream
¼ cup dry sherry (optional)
Garnish: chopped chives

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion and sauté over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until translucent. Stir in pumpkin, broth, thyme, salt and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes to develop flavors. Remove from heat. Remove bay leaves. Cover and refrigerate.

To Serve: Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add cream and sherry. Cook, stirring often, until hot. Ladle into small serving cups and garnish with chives.

Note: I double the recipe and use a combination of heavy cream (yep!) and rice drink (about 3 cups heavy cream and 1 cup rice drink). There is plenty of room to adapt this recipe to your desired consistency.

No comments: