Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back-to-School Lunches

Tuesday, September 8, 2009
The blogwaves are full of great lunchbox ideas. I have just barely switched gears back-to-school (more on our fun summer soon), but lunches need to be made whether I am ready or not. The priorities around here are getting our kids to eat food that is good for them that will keep them going throughout the day and still be interesting and fun. I don't have oodles of time so I have to plan well.

My basic go-to meals are bento-style (remember this post, this post and this one?). I especially like to work with leftovers, but repackaged.

This week I am planning on these lunches:

Hawaiian roll with sliced deli chicken
Hummus and carrots (Do you know about the lunch size hummus from Costco? Love!)
Apple wedges

Chicken apple sausages (organic and no gluten) slices* (also from Costco)
Grapes
Cheese slices
Crackers

Steak wraps with a thin pesto cream cheese spread*
Deviled eggs
Plum slices

*Cooked once but good for two completely different meals.

I must also share that our school has added a new lunch vendor. I used to splurge and let my kids get pizza on Fridays (Mama needs a break from the grind on Fridays). With the new vendor they have so many amazing and better options, like chicken terriyaki rolls. So, we are doing pizza about once a month and filling in with other goodies on Fridays. We'll see what they like and how it works out. I may not order all their food but their options alone have me inspired by what I can whip up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love all the Costco tips.