Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's Time To Go THERE: My Summer Reading

Wednesday, June 17, 2009
My summer reading list has a definite influence; my father. He is an agricultural engineer by trade, specializing in water quality. Data and research are not only part if his daily 'job' but also how he processes information outside of work. So, when he sends me an article (like this from dear Bittman) or recommends something I know it's pretty well-researched and supported by a lot of data.

Due to a serious of health issues with another family member he has had rolled up his sleeves and really evaluated our food quality, diet and what we consume. This has led to the inevitable conclusion; we mostly have extremely poor diets with toxins in our food that will increasingly manifest in our bodies in new and different (initially unexplainable) ways.

While I know this to be true I am a mother of three trying to feed my family well each day. I am on the track to healthy eating but know there is still so much I don't know and have avoided knowing. It can be overwhelming to navigate healthy eating and getting food on the table by 5:30 each night (not to mention all the snacks and meals in between). My nearest Whole Foods is 30 miles away and I am not always able to buy sustainable, organic food. In truth, I try but I also have been avoiding taking the next step.

This summer I vow to go there. I have a slew of reading lined up and plan to tackle the tough subject. Here's what I have on my nightstand:

In Defense of Food, Michael Pollan



The Omnivore's Dilemma, Michael Pollan


Food Matters, Mark Bittman

The China Study, T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell II

This is heavy for me. Once I know something is bad it's hard to keep doing it. So, I anticipate I will not be able to hide behind my ignorance is bliss cloak. But it is time. Bittman's book is what I most look forward to since it includes 75 recipes. I definitely need a next step to all this info.

No comments: