Monday, January 26, 2009

For The Love of Reading

Monday, January 26, 2009
You've no doubt heard me mention the reading that is taking off in our house. With a kindergartner and first grader, reading is a big deal. While I am certainly a fan of Amazon and ordering is so easy, I am committed to taking the kids to the library more.

Brooke and some of her lovely readers put a bee in my bonnet. So this weekend we followed up our class field trip with our own adventure to get our official library cards and check out some good chapter books to read together. (Stuart Little and Pippi Longstocking for this term.)

I have bookmarked a few library kits like this one. I love the idea of setting up our own collection and it would be a great gift. I'd personalize it a little more with some custom bookplates (one of my very favorite gifts for classmates right now) and maybe some color coded stickers.

It's like the motto of coaching little leaguers (can you tell what our lives consist of lately?)...You just want them to have enough fun to where they come back for more. Along the way they build some skill and learn a few things. But most of all, they have fun.

Ah, for the love of reading. It starts early.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The library is lots of fun. We really like to go in the summer, you can always count on air condition,and spending a good hour or two exploring.
Cute library set.