Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Tradition: Elf On A Shelf

Wednesday, December 10, 2008
We had a special delivery from the North Pole this week. Our Elf on a Shelf arrived and we have fully embraced this sweet tradition. This little guy made his way into our lives accompanied by the colorfully illustrated story.
He is one of Santa's elves and has been sent to look over my children. Each night he reports back to Santa on the kindness and helpfulness he has witnessed that day (and returns to a new spot somewhere in our house). It is great fun to meet each new day and wonder where our little Elf is watching over us and what we can do today!
While I don't want to get too far off the mark and lose the meaning of Christmas or put too much magic on an elf, I love the freedom you have to make this your own family's tradition--whatever works for you and your beliefs.

I must say, he has been getting quite an earful already. I am tempted to put a bug in his hat to hear what sort of messages really need to get to Santa.

An added bonus that I hadn't counted on is the fun in observing just how each personality is motivated. The pleasers really rise to the top with this type of activity.

Check out this animation and take a tour of the North Pole yourself. You can register your Elf adoption and make it official!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this guy. I have seen him around , and never knew what he was about. Very cute.

Sarah's Fab Day said...

I was just talking to one of my girlfriend's about this yesterday. Such a cute idea.

Jennifer Wakefield said...

I love that, such a cute idea!

Unknown said...

Bought it!!!! My kids are being extra careful about their behavor. Thanks for the post.