Saturday, February 6, 2010

I'm the Captain?!

Saturday, February 6, 2010

paperplanepilotcover

We made it through our first week of homeschooling Anna. We are starting slow and layering our projects and enrichment activities as we gain our footing. Working out placement for Parker and defining our schedule was our biggest challenge. The best analogy I have is that to flying a plane.

You see I feel like I just flipped the switch from being on cruise control auto pilot to manually maneuvering the turbulence. As involved as I thought I was before, I played a very supportive role (not a bad role at all, I might add) relative to their learning. I flew coach and happily went wherever the captain (teacher) piloted the plane. If there wasn't enough noshing or snacks served up (as their never is, right?!) I brought some supplemental sustenance along to get us through so we'd land happy travelers. I was present but able to float through it all with a little extra here and there.

Now, I am in charge. It's a gnarly flight plan. This is not a surprise and I am doing my best to rise to the challenge. I have taken safety precautions and have a teacher who we are working with. She is my parachute and will save us from crashing and burning. We have structure and curriculum and a whole lot of resources (my goodness homeschooling is taking off!).

My daughter, however, has totally stepped up. She is flying first class. That girl wants only the best. This first week has revealed that she is completely self motivated. I knew she had great drive but it had subsized a bit. I am surprised at how well she is approaching everything. She definitely likes structure so we are doing our best to keep library day on Thursdays and the yellow folder is for Math, and so on. Within that, she's a perfect passenger.

I realize this is only week one. But are happy to be where we are. And I think all my passengers are going to have a better trip because I turned off auto pilot.

Image from here. Take a listen to this one man indie pop gig also from San Diego. Sending messages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of you....both....on so many levels.

Dr. J