Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Safe Sunscreen

Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Do you ever find that basic things can be a little complicated? I mean simple sunscreen application is a source for analysis and missteps. Aren't we doing the right thing by lathering up and blocking those harmful rays?

Evidently not always (see here or here for starters). Our skin is our largest organ and what we put on it matters. Most of the sunscreens available are filled with parabens--known endocrine inhibitors. So what are we to really do? Honestly, I just want a product I can trust won't be making things worse for me or my lovies down the road. Bonus if it also cuts down on the biopsies and removals from my dermo.


I love kinesys sunscreen spray for our bodies. It's safe and feels fantastic on. It's the only sunscreen that I know of that feels so good on, is easy to apply and effective! I warn you, guard your attachment because it isn't your cheapest option.

Our dermatologist gave us Elta MD UV Physical SPF 41 for the kids' face. Its tinted so Anna is sure to put it on everyday (like make-up). The boys don't notice.

For my face, I use La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid (also recommended by my dermo after a scare with my nose and a few more biopsies on spots to watch--oh joy!). A little of this fluid goes along way. It's so smooth you don't even feel like you are wearing anything and the protection is fantastic.

We wear these every single day. We figure if we are lubed up every day mutliple times a day, we need to be paraben-free or inside (yeah, right).

1 comment:

Mara said...

I am SO excited about this post! This has been driving me crazy all summer and I have this horrible guilt that my one year old has a tan because the natural sunscreen we have been using just isn't cutting it! The titanium dioxide in the Burt's Bees leaves her very white and flaky and then is drips off her when she gets anywhere near water. So it looks like she has been rolling around in a milk jug! I can't wait to try your suggestions!